Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Website: Google Books has Art/Craft books?!?

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Blogger is currently having issues so I'm having trouble posting much. (I also lost also the linking I did in this post. I apologize.) Hopefully, that will be resolved soon. I'm doing what I can on this end. In the meantime...

Are you guys familiar with Google Books?!? The last time I looked at the site was when they first started it and most of the books were public domain. Well, a lot has changed since then. I found books dated anywhere from 1964 to 2009 even! Not just those old musty fussy books that we really only look at to copy the old illustrations from. ;)

There were at least a dozen books about bookbinding, tons on knitting, crochet and quilting, silkscreen and printmaking, and just general crafts. This was in the crafts and hobbies category - 394 books. In the art category there are 6,357 books! Oh, the graphic design and typography books are awesome... to a newbie, that is. I'm not sure just how up to date the graphic design is but I love the typography. And I finally had to stop looking because I was getting lost in the fiction and cooking and comics & graphic novels and...

Do be sure to check whether a book is the full version or is just a preview. Most of the newer books are just a limited preview but it's quite a preview. The preview for Creating Handmade Books by Alisa J. Golden was 17 pages and wasn't just the glossary and such that doesn't really tell you anything about the book. (like some websites we know. *coughcoughAmazoncough*)

I suggest taking a look at Google Books even if you looked at it in the beginning. Even if you just use it to get an idea whether you want to buy one of the books they have listed, it's worth it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for posting that .. the last time I looked was the first time when it just started.
Oh, I was one of the winners of the Road Rage jewelry ... have you sent them yet? I am so hoping not, since I haven't gotten it! Remember I have the really REALLY bad postal service, sigh.